Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Is There a Special Election in District 2's Future And Are We Prepared???





Deerfield Beach seems to be the capital of Special Elections lately.  And District 2 has not escaped that fate.  With the removal of Sylvia Poitier on April 14, 2011, Deerfield Beach's City Charter states that if no regular city election is scheduled within nine (9) months, the commission shall schedule a special election to fill the unexpired term of mayor or a commissioner held not sooner than forty-five (45) days (May 29, 2011), nor more than seventy-five (75) days  (June 28, 2011) following the occurrence of the vacancy or vacancies. 


They may chose to appointment someone from District 2 to fill her position and we will, as a community of concerned individuals, attend every commission meeting to ensure that that individual is doing what is in the best interest of all theiconstituents.  We know that 45-75 days is a long time and anything can happen if we are not vigilant and mindful.  If the past couple of years has taught us nothing, then I hope it has taught us that.


So, since March 8, 2011 I have been asking myself  this question, if District 2 had a Special Election tomorrow, would we be ready?  I have yet to formulate an answer to that questing that seems to be a looming certainty.  Who would rise and take the challenge of representing us during this turbulent time.


If last night's community meeting is any indication then Ben Preston and Gloria Battle have already thrown their proverbial hats into the ring.  Which is an apropos statement because the City Commission has been like a wrestling ring in the last few years.  Each Commissioner wrestling for the spotlight and power.  So the person that would assume the throne left vacant by Sylvia Poitier's removal from office by "Guberna" Scott would have to be thick skinned, open-minded, intelligent, and compassionate, non-apathetic, community bridge building gladiator.  That is they will have to be able to effectively represent District 2's historical voters, the new wave of voters who want change, and even the one's to apathetic to care to speak up for themselves.  Now, for that they would have to be willing to be open and available to their constituents at anytime within reason.    


Now, I have recently been asked if I will run and my answer to that is.  If I feel that there is no person stepping up qualified (in my opinion) to represent me, then I will step up and do it myself.  Because who can do a better job of representing me, than me.  My issues more often than not are the typical District 2 issues, with few exceptions.  And I know I want my representative to be able to bridge the gap between all District 2 residents, not just a a small minority of District 2 voters.  I think we need someone who can empathize with the residents daily issues and concerns and develop solutions based upon sound reasoning of what will best serve the interest of those individuals, as well as everyone else.  This person will have to see District 2 as a whole entity and not sections of groups.  This  person will have to be able to energize and galvanize the residents of District 2, as a whole community, and most importantly this person will have to be strong-willed enough to stand up for what they believe in, not just to the their constituents, but to the other 4 elected individuals who seat on the Dais and the City's Management team. 


These are just a few of the things that I will be looking for in any individual who wants to consider assuming the throne left behind by our Queen Bee.  Especially, if they want us to organize behind them. 


I think, however, we should remain hopeful that an individual will emerge to take the helm of government and lead District 2 towards a positive progression as a part of the City of Deerfield Beach as whole.   


I for one am still waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone is welcome to comment, but all comments represent the views of the poster and not this site.