Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Meet Andre Samuels, Candidate for District 2 City Commissioner

I know some people might find it strange that I am posting information from someone, who they may see as some sort of "competition".  I have heard this comment and many others like it with regard on how highly I speak of Andre Samuels and some of the other candidates to the public.  What people don't realize is even when I was working with Sylvia Poitier on her campaign, I was still continiously helping the other candidates.  Gloria Battle and Annette Scott-Woods, I would've helped Ben Preston, but he never answered my phone calls back then.  

The reason I chose to do this is because it's needed in my community.  When I got involved in this political "game", it became very obvious to me that information was the key.  The people with the information benefited most and those without it were left behind or worse left out.  So, I took the necessary steps to try and get that information out to the residents of District 2 and get them involved.  This was and is the key to getting District 2 an equal seat at the table, because when we are all honest with ourselves, for whatevereason the residents of District 2 have never had an equal seat at the table.  It is time that we do what needs to be done to reach that goal and that begins with  full participation and education in the politics of Deerfield Beach.

So, I would just like to state what should be obvious by now, I do not see Andre, Gloria, Ben, or Anthony as competition.  This is not a derogatory statement in the least.  What it is and if you have ever spoken to me personally, or seen me speaking out in the streets, or have been following this blog then you know that I do this for the betterment of my community and I believe that each and every candidate running has the best intentions for their community.  All of the candidates bring their own flare, personality, attributes, credits, ideas, etc... to the political arena that is Deerfield Beach.  I believe this wholeheartedly!  Of course, I have personal favorites with me being the top choice because I know and trust my own thoughts and ideas for the progression of D2 into the future as an equal partner with the other districts within the City of Deerfield Beach.   

With that said, let me tell you a little story, this is around 1997-1998 at Deerfield Beach High School.

Guy struts into a choral room with a thousand books in his hands, an overstuffed bookbag, and the ugliest and tightest pair of jeans I had ever seen.  The first thing I thought was, geez, I really hope he is just delivering a message and not looking to join, but as the Chorus President, I walked over and introduced myself and the conversation went something like this. (Please note I have taken a few liberties.)

Me:  Hey, how you doing, my name is David. Can I help you?

Guy: Hello!  My name is Andre Samuels. I spoke to the chorus teacher and she told me about this group and I was wondering if I could join?

We all noticed that he was a little bit timid and a bit to reserved, which for a guy singing in the school chorus, this is a negative and if you watch GLEE then you know why.  If I had to describe our personalities back then  based on characters from GLEE, then he would be the male version of Tina Cohen-Chang 1st Season and I of course was a mix between Kurt, Mercedes, and Rachel. 

Me: Sure, what grade are you in?

Andre: I'm in your 1st hour AP English class, so 12th.

In my defense,  I was only in this AP English class for about a month before returning to the Honors Track, so I really didn't get a chance to learn all of the new faces, plus the AP kids had known each other for 4 years and I honestly, outside of a few exceptions I really didn't try to get to know them because I was playing catch-up with the course work and there just no time.  Also, the Honors kids and AP/IB kids really didn't mix or associate with each other all that much.  I think it had something to do with their workload, I could be wrong.  

Me: Oh!!!  OK, yeah sure you can join.  What is your range?

This initial conversation was interrupted by the chorus teacher and suffice it to say Andre and I became friends from that day forth.  

Anyway, both Andre and I share the same vision for this community.  We have taken different paths and different avenues, but I do believe that our travels in this political arena will always lead both of us back to our main goal which is the betterment of District 2 and Deerfield Beach.

Speaking of goals, since my main goal is to educate the people and give them the information they need to make informed decisions.  I would like to start off with introducing Andre Samuels and some of his ideas to the readers of this blog.  Some of you know him, some of you don't.  So now is your chance to get to know him and his vision for this City if elected as District 2 City Commissioner.  

To Andre, sorry about the flashback...lol

So without further ado, Andre Samuels...



Friends and Neighbors,
As a life long Deerfield Beach resident, I was raised to contribute to my community. I attended Deerfield Beach High school, before receiving my Bachelors of Science in Biological Engineering. I owe my community for supporting me and teaching me the values I grew up with. I am running for the City Commission because I believe that our community stands at a cross roads. Our district has been Under-fundedUnder-resourced, and at times Ignored. But I believe that Our Future Can Be Much Brighter! We must put the past and old grievances behind us and look towards our future. We must build new relationships and new partnerships that unify our city and strengthen our district. The goal of building A Better District Requires a Plan! As voters, we cannot afford to accept the empty promises of politicians. If we wish to Change The Direction of Our Community, we need to plot a new course. We need to know where we are going, and how we are going to get there. I am running for city commission because I believe that our community needs answers, and I believe that I have a plan that addresses the most pressing issues in our community. My plan is not a laundry list of empty promises. It is a step by step agenda. If you elect me, I will follow this road map. You will not have to wonder what I will accomplish while in office and you will not have to wonder how I will reach our goals. You will know precisely what issues I will address and you will know exactly how Our District will be different, if I am elected. As a voter, you deserve to know this from every candidate. Please take the time to read through this plan and learn about my vision for this community. I know that we can rescue our community. I know that we have the talent, drive and energy it takes to solve these problems. We just need to choose the right leadership! 
MY QUALIFICATIONS


Education


Deerfield Beach High-school
Bachelors of Science: Biological Engineering


Community Work


Member Deerfield Beach Cultural Committee
Founder of The Legacy Project- an effort to record Deerfield's Black History
Philanthropy Fundraiser Winter Wonderland Toy-Drive
Message Coordinator For City Commission Campaigns- Fort Lauderdale, Gainesville
Volunteer in Campaigns for State House of Representatives
Volunteer in Campaigns for State Senate
Volunteer Al Gore Presidential Campaign
Volunteer John Kerry Presidential Campaign





Andre can be reached at (954) 425-2365 oe-mail: mr.asamuels@gmail.com 




To all District 2 residents, whether you vote for me or one of the other candidates, like Andre Samuels, the important thing is that you VOTE!


You can go to the polls on July 19, 2011 and cast your ballot or you can contact the BSOE at http://www.browardsoe.org/AbsenteeRequest2.aspx and fill out a request form for an absentee ballot or you can call the BSOE at 954-357-7055.


Stay tuned, I will be profiling all the other candidates within the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone is welcome to comment, but all comments represent the views of the poster and not this site.