Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Deerfield Beach "Freedom" I'm Gon Stand... (This post took on a life of its own, so bare with it because I decided not to fix it or edit it)

Thoughts, emotions, feelings, ideas, and passions can sometimes be best expressed through song.  

If you know me then you know that I utilize music to sometimes express myself because like it is said in the opening of William Congreve`s play `The Mourning Bride:

Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.
I've read, that things inanimate have mov'd,
And, as with living Souls, have been inform'd,
By Magick Numbers and persuasive Sound.
What then am I? Am I more senseless grown
Than Trees, or Flint? O force of constant Woe!
'Tis not in Harmony to calm my Griefs.
Anselmo sleeps, and is at Peace; last Night
The silent Tomb receiv'd the good Old King;
He and his Sorrows now are safely lodg'd
Within its cold, but hospitable Bosom.
Why am not I at Peace?

With that said, I would like everyone to listen to the words of this song.

 
I believe that there will ultimately be a clash between the oppressed and those who do the oppressing.  I believe that there will be a clash between those who want freedom, justice, and equality for everyone and those who want to continue the system of exploitation.  I believe that there will be that kind of CLASH, but I don`t think it will be based on the color of the skin...Malcolm X (1965)

I already know that from this some will call me a racist, which couldn't be further from the truth because I have been very fortunate to have had the chance to get to know and befriend many people of many different races, religions, creeds, orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. So, I learned at a very early age to judge people by their conscience behavior, not their skin color.  So to reiterate, I am not against anyone based on the color of the skin.  What I am is against every form of racism and segregation every form of discrimination.  I believe in human beings and that all human beings should be respected as such, regardless of color.  Honestly, I had no idea that Malcolm X, who this is paraphrased from, summed up the plight of the world and the masses after he left the Nation of Islam and started the Organization of Afro-American Unity.  While writing this particular peace, which I initially intended this post just because I wanted people to hear the above song and realize the truth in its words, I found all these interesting facts and quotes about and by Malcolm X and this post has morphed, but I am sure you can tell that.  


Many people in my own community quote MLK and leave it at that, heck I was one of them because I thought he had the right idea.  But, in my YOUTUBE search today, I found that many of the ideas that I have and I believe  about how to make the black community better and Deerfield Beach/America bettewas shared already by Malcolm X.  


Before anyone gets it twisted and I can already heathe propaganda machine under the helm of Chaz Stevens is already gearing up, I want to point out that Malcolm X, did have a militant side, which is the side that I knew of and surprisingly even after watching the movie, so brilliantly played by Denzel Washington which did show the conversion of Malcolm to understand that the only race that matters is the human race and the only religion that matters is the one that's about love and freedom.



Now, I am not a Muslim and in fact, I don't identify with any organized religion and don't prescribe to many of the tenets of most religious institutions.  The point I am trying to make is back in 60's Malcolm was preaching to the black community and speaking to American society about the need for the black community to wake up, clean up, and stand up, which is the same thing that I have been saying, except he says it more eloquently.  He talks about the need for people in general to be able to have a conversation with each other without fear of hurting the others feelings, so that true open and honest dialogue can occur and the real ills can be put on the table, instead of just swept under the rug.  Once that happens, once we truly and fully acknowledge our past and present, then we can work foreal change for all of our futures.

Malcolm talked about religious sincerity that causes people to block out the truth because of their belief and confidence in what they've been taught to be true divinity.  He was right, not only in the Nation of Islam community, but in the black community in general.

I suggest that everyone go back and re-think what they believe they know and question your teachings, so a true understanding or awakening can begin.  We are all humans and should not hate one another just because of the melanin content of our skin or the new "ism"-Taxism, where you hate someone or think they are inferior because of the amount of taxes they pay or don't pay...Either way both trains of thought will only lead to our downfall as a society.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone is welcome to comment, but all comments represent the views of the poster and not this site.